When Life Gives You Kittens: Lessons in Trusting Your Intuition and Building a Supportive Circle
Hello there, it’s Dr Liz, and I’m thrilled to share a story with you—a real-life event involving kittens, curveballs, and some massive life lessons. This heartwarming tale unfolded recently, and it speaks volumes about the importance of trusting our inner voice and surrounding ourselves with wise advisors.
A Monday Like No Other
Picture my daughter in the middle of a frantic Monday morning, swamped with work commitments, meetings, and looming deadlines. Sounds stressful, right? It was. But as she drove out of her office parking lot, something extraordinary happened. A car in front of her jolted, and two tiny feline furballs—kittens!—tumbled onto the asphalt. She had the decision to make.
One that might seem small in the grand scheme of things, but sometimes, it’s the “small” decisions that reveal the most about our character.
Listening to That Inner Voice
Ignoring the ticking clock and her jam-packed day, our daughter listened to her gut. She pulled over, scooped up the kittens, and made several calls to figure out what to do next. With her work unable to house the kittens and local animal shelters closed, she faced a conundrum. She called us, and we brainstormed together, ultimately deciding that the kittens could stay in her car for a short while, safely tucked in a crate.
Fast-forward an hour, and life surprised us again.
One of her coworkers adopted the kittens, giving them names—”Speedbump” and “Skidmark”—and a forever home.
The Life Lessons Unveiled
So, what can we take away from this story? Here are some takeaways:
- Trust Your Gut: Intuition is the inner compass that helps us navigate the complexities of life. When in doubt, trust it.
- Stay True to Your Values: In moments of dilemma, your moral compass should be your guide. Our daughter’s sense of responsibility towards helpless beings is a prime example.
- Be Discerning in Your Relationships: A circle of reliable, wise advisors can make all the difference when facing life’s curveballs.
- Learn to Pivot: When life doesn’t go according to plan, be flexible. Adapt, and find an alternate path.
- Invest in Relationships: Sometimes, the relationships that bring the most joy are the ones we least expect. Be open to forming connections, both old and new.
Actionable Takeaway: Your Challenge for the WeekNow, it’s your turn!
I challenge you to listen to your inner voice for seven days. Take that step you’ve hesitated to make because you’re unsure how it will pan out. Maybe it’s an overdue conversation with your spouse, or perhaps it’s a career decision you’ve been putting off. Listen to your gut and take action.
Also, evaluate your circle of friends, mentors, and advisors. Are they uplifting you, challenging you, and supporting your growth? If not, perhaps it’s time to cultivate a network of people who do.
That’s all for now, folks. May you find your own “Speedbump” or “Skidmark”—those unexpected joys that life offers when we dare to listen to our inner voice and surround ourselves with wisdom.
I’d love to hear how your challenge is going. Feel free to comment or DM me @drlizjenkins
Cheers to a life well-lived, Dr Liz
P.S. If you’re looking for resources to fortify your relationships, look at my Couple’s Smart Restart 6-week Sprint and Weekend Reconnect programs. They’re designed to help couples rapidly repair, reconnect, and redesign their relationships.